- Choose a song you are comfortable with and know well
- Pick something within your capabilities – don’t try to over impress
- Make sure the song is appropriate for the occasion
Get The Essentials
- Song lyrics
- Sheet music (for the accompanist)
- Backing track (if needed)
- Check whether you will be singing with a PA system or without
- Will you learn the lyrics or have music on a stand?
- Take a bottle of water with you
Rehearsing The Song
Always allow yourself a good amount of rehearsal time – preparation is the key to a good performance!
- Listen to recordings of the song and work out an arrangement that suits you
- Hum the melody of the song before adding words – this helps to secure your tuning and knowledge of the melody. Words can get in the way at this stage!
- Make sure you know your entries (particularly if you are using a backing track)
- Try to memorise the words
Before The Performance
- Choose a comfortable outfit
- Imagine yourself performing the song – with a good outcome
- Find out where you are in the programme
- Arrive in plenty of time
- Make sure you warm up properly!
© 2008 Helen Sanderson-White, Little Eliza Music (copying is prohibited)